Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ways to Use Chalkboard Paint

This Week I'll be sharing 5 projects where I used chalkboard paint.
 
Use Chalkboard Paint to make
Custom Planters

                         
                         
 
 I love to use fresh herbs in my cooking, but  I don't have a window in my kitchen (just a slider door)  so this little set up makes it nice and easy to pick up and move to and from the sunlight.
What you'll need to make this:
 
* Unfinished crate ( I found mine on sale at Michaels)
* Stain (Any color you want. I used a water based)
* Sand Paper ( I used a fine grit sanding sponge)
* Terra Cotta pots and saucers ( I found mine at Meijer's)
* Multi Purpose Primer ( I got mine tinted a light grey. I always use Valsar Paint)
* Flat white paint ( I used latex)
* Black Chalkboard paint
* Foam Brush
* Stiff Paint Brush
* Artist size paint brush
* Old Rag
* Chalk markers ( I got these at Michaels)                                            
 
THE CRATE:
1. Use the sanding sponge or sandpaper and get rid of all the rough areas.
2. Use a damp cloth to get all of the dust off.
3. Use the sponge brush or an old rag to apply stain ( I worked one section at a time).
4. Wipe off stain with a rag.
5.Once you have stained the whole thing, let it dry. (or put a 2nd coat on like I did) just depends on how dark you want it to be.
 
THE PLANTERS:
Tip: I use old pizza boxes as my "drop cloth"& to set my freshly painted items on.
1. Paint on the primer ( I just used a foam brush) and let dry.
2. Use the stiff dry paint brush & dip the tip in the white paint.
3. Brush on white paint ( I dragged it across so you could see the grey though the white) & let dry.
4. Cut a circle out of paper & use it to trace a circle where you want it on the planter.
5. Use a smaller paint brush to paint on the chalkboard paint in the circle & let dry.
6. You will most likely have to paint on a 2nd coat of the chalkboard paint.
7. Once everything has completely dried then you can use chalk markers to customize your planters.
8. Plant your plants in the planters.
9. Place your customized planters inside the crate.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment