Saturday, September 22, 2012

Custom Mail Boxes...

 
Organize Your Mail
Using Chalkboard Paint
 



 Materials: Tip: When you go to the hardware store make sure to check the "Oops" paint shelf for great deals for a project like this.

* 1 or 2 Unfinished mail holders ( I found these at Michaels)
* Multi-Purpose primer ( I use Valspar :tinted gray)
* Light colored paint ( I used a cream: latex)
* Red paint (This is a pre-mixed red:Valspar enamel gloss)
* Chalkboard Paint
* Med grit sanding sponge (much easier for distressing)
* Small paint brush or sponge brush
* Small artist brush
* Old rag ( paper towel will work too, just not as good)
* Paper & Pencil


Steps: Tip: Layering  multiple colors of paint
will give you a since of depth: creating an aged appearance.
 
1. Lightly sand any rough areas & wipe down with damp towel.
2. Paint with Primer & let dry.
3. Paint with cream ( just kind of a light coat) & let dry.
4. Paint with red & let dry. (may need 2 coats of red).
5. Sand lightly all over for a more antique look.
( I decided that I didn't want mine to look new and glossy,
so I sanded most of the sheen off).
6. Sand harder over the edges to give it a "worn" look.
7. Wipe down with damp cloth.
8. Optional: I made my own glaze by mixing a bit of my
grey primer, a tad bit of chalkboard paint and a few drops of water.
*Paint this glaze over areas you want ( I did it all over).
* Wipe it off with a rag or paper towel.
* Repeat in some areas to make darker & wipe away.
9. Make a template out of paper of the size & shape
that you want your label to be.
10. Use template and trace around it on your mail holder.
11. Paint label with chalkboard paint & let dry.
12. Paint a 2nd coat of chalkboard paint & let dry.
13. Use chalk or a chalk Marker to customize your labels.
 
Hang and Enjoy!
 
                   
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment